9.12.2006

Adventures of Mimi

Last night was the Mariah Carey concert! :)
Amy came and picked me up from work, we had dinner and then went to the show. Sean Paul opened, which I didn't mind, but didn't love. Mariah put on a stellar performance, I definetly think it was better than the last tour I saw (in 2000, for the Rainbow album).
Of course she had several costume changes, the photo above is the only outfit I can find a picture of -- though my favorite was this capri pant number. She also had a small stage in the center of the United Center (main stage was at one end). The best song/performance was Always be my Baby which she did on the center stage (in the capri pant outfit). There was also this giant disco ball sending shimmering light allover the United Center when she sang that song, it just looked really cool. :)

Our seats were pretty high up and far back, but they were good. We faced the stage directly not from a weird angle. There was definetly a wide variety of people there for sure. There was an older couple in front of us, probably 50-ish and the old man was so excited (you could tell his wife came for him, not the other way around!). Then there was this CRAZY lady who kept dancing in the entry way to our section -- she had on Superman pajama bottoms and a crazy bandana. I honestly think she might have been homeless and someone gave her a ticket. Everytime this one girl would walk by her she'd make her dance with her for like 20 minutes! It was very strange. :)

Then of course they did a tribute to 9/11; she sang Hero and One Sweet Day
(with Trey Lorenz). She also sang I'll Be There with Trey Lorenz (who she originally sang it with on that MTV special years ago). DJ Clue was there and provided some pretty good entertainment during costume change breaks.

I was kind of bummed that for her encore she only sang 1 song, We Belong Together, I thought she'd do 3. Oh well, it was a great show nonetheless, and I don't care what anyone says because I'm sure it'll be another 6 years before she tours the states again.

No comments: